flooring services


Welcome to the 12th & Oak Blog! We are glad someone cares about hardwood flooring as much as we do. Here you’ll find helpful information and our news. Looking for more? Contact us today and we would be happy to help you with your hardwood flooring needs.

3 Big Reasons to Hire a Professional to Refinish Your Hardwood Floors

July 11, 2017

hardwood floors

Do your hardwood floors need refinishing? Are you thinking about tackling the project yourself? Refinishing may seem like the perfect project for the DIYer. However, the experts suggest otherwise. This project takes a lot of time and energy to get the job done. Although not impossible, you may soon realize that you have gotten in over your head.

Here are the three big reasons why it’s best to hire a professional to refinish your hardwood floors:

No. 1 – Equipment

There is a lot of equipment involved when refinishing your hardwood floors, and you will have to find them at a tool-renting center unless you have a rotating 8-inch drum sander just lying around. The two sanding tools you need are a drum sander and an edger. The drum sander is a massive piece of machinery that may be intimidating to operate. This sander will work well on your floors within a 2-inch margin from each wall. To finish the sanding process, you will need the edger. You need coarse, medium, and fine sandpaper in different sizes for your different tools.

Don’t forget ear protection, safety glasses, and a breathing mask. Once the sanding process is complete, you will need to use a floor polisher. Make sure you get polishing screens and a buffing pad.

*It is important to note that professional’s tools are of higher quality than those at your renting center. However, you may be able to find these better tools if you are willing to pay a premium.

No. 2 – Workload and cleanup

Some DIYers may not realize how much work refinishing is and how difficult it may be. The most common amateur mistake involves using the drum sander. Holding it in one place for too long can put dips in your hardwoods.

People new at the task also tend to underestimate the amount of sawdust produced. Refinishing is a constant cleanup process; otherwise, your hardwoods won’t look perfect. The drum sander should have a vacuum that picks up about 90 percent of the debris from sanding your floors. That means the other 10 percent is getting everywhere — including on you. Unless you are used to working in these conditions, the mess can be overwhelming. You have to clean up 100 percent of the sawdust and debris. Any left on the floor between finishes will get caught in the coat and will leave your floors looking dull.

No. 3 – Expertise

Professionals do this every single day, and they take pride in the work they do. Sleep easy at night knowing that your hardwood floors are going to look spectacular when it’s all done. Professionals will also get the job done in a reasonable amount of time. More often than not, homeowners don’t plan their time accordingly and the four-day project turns into something that takes a week or two.

Professionals may be able to give you recommendations about other floors in your home. They can point out problems areas that you may not have realized offer other tips for keeping your hardwoods looking healthy.

If you have any questions about refinishing your hardwood floors, contact us today.